Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Saw a beautiful red fox...


I saw a beautiful red fox the other day. I drove to the little post office and it was running along the side of the gravel road, then it dashed across. Of course I didn’t have my camera. So the only picture I captured of it is in my mind’s eye. Beautiful bright red fox.
No he didn't have an accordian...nor was he/she wearing bib overalls.
In truth it is truly a pleasure to see the wildlife out here. I had the pleasure of observing a mother phesant and her babies running down the road the other day as well. The rooster phesants are so dramatic in their colors. Such a bright shock of color.
Living out here can be harsh to the point of being brutal. Nature tends to be harsh and brutal. Yes I know the idea is nature is this gentle little fawn like bambi. Ok, so it is. Nature has a balance to it. For the extremes of brutallity there is an extreme on the opposite end of gentleness and caring between animals and their young. It's real life, not buffered and cushioned by our social ideals and such. It is not a PC situation, it's a real life not verbose fluff.
Some hungry critter has snatched all of our geese but 2. Need that perimeter fence up. Truthfully I don't know when I'm going to get to it. One step at a time. The turkeys are doing pretty well. They actually follow me around.
When I was a little kid I was afraid of geese and turkeys both. As at one time or another both had either pecked me or flogged me. Makes me smile everytime the 2 geese we still have come running when they see me. We've been shedding the fowl at night. So far that has stopped the wildlife from doing dinner on our remaining geese.
Yes I know fox are predators, no I am not shooting at it. If you live out like we do. get a grip on yourself and put a protective barrier up around your fowl. Shut them up at night and leave the bloody wildlife alone. Fox eat small prey ... yes chickens... but mice as well.
Ok... out of time and cutting off my rant... lol..
Later
Life is a journey... enjoy the trip... Mary E. Robbins & the Hairballs
307-788-0202

No comments: