Monday, January 23, 2012

Good Morning , Cuppa Tea?


I love the first blush of the morning, just before sunrise when you can just see the light coming up the eastern horizon. This morning it is so calm. A welcome relief after the winds of yesterday.

I got up put the kettle on for a bit of tea, put a load of laundry in the washer. Those compression pants I’d been wearing were in dire need of a good wash. Had a brief word with my husband, he’s more than likely going back to bed as he was up most of the night. Stepped outside to see what the morning felt like.

It is totally calm. No wind, no coyotes howling, no dogs barking, then I heard it. It would seem I startled a pheasant when I walked across the yard to the thermometer to check the reading. One startled call and then quiet. Well quiet from the pheasant that is. The kennels decided to say good morning.

It’s 30 degrees F (-1 C), amazing how that can feel so much warmer than over 40 degrees when the wind is blowing. Ran the mastiffs out to go potty, brought them back in and ran the house hairballs out. They were dancing and yipping to go after I let the big dogs out.

I don’t run these 2 groups out in the same yards at the same time, Sara’s head is bigger than the Happy Hairballs (Poms) bodies. She is a love but I keep her separated from them, mainly because she is serious about her yard guard duties. Well that and if she thinks I’m annoyed with anyone or anything, she steps up to “discipline” them. She is really good at reading my attitudes and body language. As well as being fiercely loyal.

The hairballs are zipping around the yards, kicking their feet out backwards and stretching. Yapping at the farm cats and doing their business. Gonna have to rake that yard again… pooper scooper anyone? Lol.

Put another log in the wood stove and damped it back down. I absolutely love that soapstone stove. We are using less than half the wood we used in the other stove we had. This one is that beautiful gray soapstone, with a glass view pane in the front. When it’s damped down the fire dances around in a deep orange swirl with bits of blue at the base. It is so beautiful.

Time for another hot cup of tea and raw honey. Feels good in my throat after that wind yesterday. Working out in the wind always gives me a raw throat, the dust of the straw didn’t help any. I am thankful for raw honey to help heal it up. Amazing what it does to reduce allergies as well. Before I started using local raw honey that straw would have had me taking allergy meds and on a nebulizer trying to breathe. By the way, do not put it in the microwave you will reduce it’s effectiveness, and it’s ok that it’s thick and kind of crystallized. That’s normal for raw honey. Oh and yes there is probably a bit of beeswax in it. That’s normal too, no worries, it will not hurt you to eat it.

The washing machine has finished that load. So I’ll draw to a close for now.


May you have a blessed day in every way.

Mary E. Robbins

No comments: