Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Wood peckers, Frost, and Banana Bread

This morning as I was out gathering eggs I paused on the way into my chicken house. This little bird caught my eye, he was clinging to the stalk of a horse weed pecking away. I was wishing I had my camera, but alas I did not. He had a red mark on the back of his head, a white belly and black wings. It wasn’t until this evening that I sat down at the computer and did a search to see if I could identify what he was. As it turns out, it was a male Downy Woodpecker. I’d never seen one on a horse weed stalk before. I just stood and watched him for a bit. Then I went on inside the chicken house and gathered my treasure. The treasure would be fresh chicken eggs. Lol.

I love it that Wikipedia has the sounds of the birds. I didn’t realize it but I’ve heard them singing or calling whatever you want to call it. Them, referring to the Downy Woodpeckers; I truly enjoy the wild birds out here.

I heard that male pheasant calling again today, he was in the grass, or tree row, to the west of the house today. I didn’t see him, just heard him.

There was around an inch of snow on the ground this morning. It didn’t last long though by this afternoon it had melted into the earth. Good for the pastures. Good for me too, it helps to keep the dust down when the wind blows.

This morning it was calm, a breeze picked up as the day progressed. It is calm again this evening. I went back out to put the hairballs in for the night and my headlamp was exposing millions of brilliant diamonds in the frozen grasses I was walking over. Diamonds, or stars in the grass, actually it was frost sparkling in the light; strikingly beautiful.

There is a fair bit of moisture in the air this night. I wonder if there will be hoarfrost in the morning.

The night sky is clear with just a sliver of a moon showing. I love to get out away from the yard lights and just look up at the sky and stare at the beauty of it. For some reason they seem so much more brilliant on cold nights. It was 20 degrees F while I was out and about this evening.

Beautiful calm night, I am thankful the wind is not blowing. It can be rather wearing after a while. So much fine dust in the air and everywhere. It’s nice to have clear air to breathe for a bit.

Baked banana bread this afternoon while I was sorting my spices and moving them to their own cabinet. I really dislike having them all jumbled up. When they are like that I can look straight at what I’m seeking and not see it. Today I sorted and alphabetized the whole lot of them. Had multiples of quite a few. Now they are in their little cabinet all in rows alphabetized. If I can’t find what I’m looking for now, odds are it just is not there. Lol. The cabinet is on a shelf above my range. May not be the best place for it, but that’s where it is. Lots of climbing on my little step ladder this afternoon. Lol.

It’s good to be baking again. I love whipping up quick breads by hand, then enjoying the aroma as they bake, and pulling out that hot loaf all split across the top and browned.

Life’s simple pleasures, the sight of a wood pecker, sparkling frost, and banana bread.

Speaking of which, I think I’ll have a slice with my tea before a hot bath.



Life is a journey, enjoy the trip.
Mary E. Robbins
307.788.0202

No comments: